January 13, 2014

Movie: Fruitvale Station


I’m still in utterly shocked. I just finished watching ‘Fruitvale Station’. It’s kind of hard to write right know, but I need to do it while I’m still emotionally attached to the movie.

This movie is a story about a guy named Oscar Grant. The movie follows Oscar’s last final day before he was wrongfully killed by a police officer in Fruitvale Station.

I already knew what’s going to happen. I already knew that he’s going to die. But what I didn’t know was the story behind it. And in this movie, in Oscar’s last final day, the director and writers showed a sheer story.
I really don’t want to spoil the movie so instead, I’m just going to tell you something about the actors’ performance.


Michael B. Jordan, he plays the main character. His acting was so raw, so real, that I almost felt like I was also there, standing in front of him, watching the whole thing. That’s how good his acting was, and that’s how effective he was. His character carries you through out the film and it was almost as if I was watching a 3D movie, but in more compelling way.

Octavia Spencer, she plays Oscar Grant’s mother.  I’ve seen her acting in the movie “The Help” before , and she was really, really good in that film. But, she was more impressive in this one. You know a good actor if she could deliver a character without trying too hard. And she wasn't trying in this film. I love the way her eyes stares, it’s like a vortex, you get sucked right into it. It’s crazy how she does it. One of my favorite parts of the film, and I think the most emotional and heartbreaking part, was when Octavia’s character saw his son’s body, lying on a cold-hard table, lifeless. I think that moment was the most powerful scene. Believe me when I say, I was crying the same time Octavia’s character was crying, it’s as if we’re doing a duet song. But in a wail, way.

Melonie Diaz, she plays as Oscar’s girlfriend and the mother to their 7-year old daughter. I think what she did in this film deserves a recognition. And I’m talking about an Oscar nomination for a supporting role. Her acting was so sincere and moving that it carried me, as a movie watcher, to her situation and pain.

And let’s not forget little Miss Ariana Neal, she plays as Oscar's daughter. She doesn’t really had a lot of frame shots, but what she did in the latter part of the film got me. She didn’t even had to say a single word. It was her eyes that’s acting.

This movie pretty much drained all my emotions, and I’m about to watch another drama movie. I’m doomed.

Make sure you’re emotionally prepared before watching this film, okay?


Bye, for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment